In case you didn’t know, the state of Hawaii does not have one official Department of Motor Vehicles. Instead, each of the four counties Honolulu, Hawaii, Kauai and Maui has its own system of vehicle registration and licensing offices that are responsible for dealing with the DMV matters. So if you want to get more information about driving, registration, ID cards and similar issues, keep reading, as you will find everything covered here.
Scheduling and making appointments
As you know, apart from visiting the driver licensing offices in the 4 counties to schedule your vision, knowledge and road tests, you may also contact the respective licensing locations to schedule certain activities in advance:
- To make an online appointment for your road test or reschedule an existing appointment in Honolulu County click here http://www3.honolulu.gov/csdarts/default.aspx.
- To make a road test appointment for commercial license by calling (808) 961-2224 in Hawaii County.
- Call (808) 270-8080 for Kahului Service Center, (808) 248-8254 for the Hana Office, (808) 565-7878 for the Lanai Office or (808) 553-3430 for the Molokai Office in Maui County, to make road test appointment.
Locations and operating hours
- Driver License Offices in all four counties are generally open Monday-Friday between 7:45 am-4:30 pm, except for legal holidays. Some offices are open on Saturdays as well.
- Vehicle Registration Locations in Honolulu County, Hawaii County, Kauai County and Islands of Maui deal with titles and registration. Some of them may also offer full or limited driver licensing services. The offices are open from Monday to Friday between 7:45 am-4:30 pm, except for legal holidays. See here which days are non-working in these four counties.
- Road Testing Locations in the different counties conduct road test for different licenses. These locations are generally open Monday-Friday.
- Third Party Testers are authorized and certified by the Hawaii Department of Transportation. They conduct the skills tests for Class 4 and commercial licenses in Honolulu City and County, Hawaii County and Kauai County.
*Note: Make sure you check the working hours of your local office before visiting in person.
- See this useful link too http://www.dmv.com/hi/hawaii, and learn how to handle those time-consuming DMV issues fast.
For more details on Honolulu, Hawaii, Kauai and Maui offices click here http://www.dmv.com/hi/hawaii/dmv-office.